Friday, February 13, 2009

RSV, RSV, RSV

Jack, Ollie, and now Milo, all definately have RSV. It has been a very long a tiring week! Oliver started out with pneumonia and I knew he wasn't getting better. Jack for almost 2 weeks now has refused to get out of his bed. Neither of them will eat. Not even tomatoes, and if you know my boys that will shock you. They both have the worst sounding coughs and Jack coughs so hard he throws up. Not just once in a while, but every time he coughs. I took both of them into the doctor on Monday but by the time we got there of course they both stopped coughing. I was sure they were going to send me home and tell me I am way too paranoid. Instead we got sent to the emergency room at Primary's because Jack's oxygen was low. (flashback from 3 years ago) Our doctor also found he has an ear infection. Luckily after being given steroids and a breathing treatment his oxygen came back up. He had some x-rays done and sure enough he also has pneumonia. Suprisingly we were able to go home. But unlucky for Milo that means exposure to 2 boys wih RSV and pneumonia. 3 days later we returned to our pediatrician and sure enough Milo has caught RSV. Since there is no treatment for it we just have to tough it out. This is a much different scenario than it was 3 years ago and I am very thankful all the boys are able to keep their oxygen up and stay out of the ICU.

Also, we had to re-schedule (again) Jack's MRI since he is so sick. The new date is February 25th. Hopefully he will be better by then. He also had his appointment with the geneticist. He is positive Jack does have Russel Silver Syndrome but is unsure the growth hormones will work on him. Apparently 90% of kids with this do not respond to the hormones. So now we have to convince medicaid to approve 6 more "unnecessary" tests to find out if they will work.

4 comments:

Cassidy Meine said...

Man you have not had it easy the last little while! These winters are ROUGH. Seriously, let me know if there is anything I can do to help out!!

Tarah Peacock said...

Oh man, I am so sorry! That is horrible. I am glad you have been able to avoid more of the hospital. If there is anything we can do let us know as well.

Heidi Madsen said...

oh no, that is terrible. we're so sorry to hear it. you are one heck of a mom!!!

United We Dance said...

Oh MY!!! I feel you Tina...I took Drake to the ER and found out the same thing. Ear infection and bronchialitis. So he had a breathing treatment too and it was the most miserable 2 weeks ever because I didn't sleep. I can't imagine 2 kids! You are a strong woman!