Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Jack's eye appointment


I've been noticing for quite a while now that Jack's eyes just don't look right, so I finally made an appointment for him to see the doctor. His eyes bounce back and forth and sometimes it looks like he has a lazy eye. So I was expecting the doctors to give him eye exercises to do to help fix it, possibly even get glasses. Well after 3 hours of being there, the doctors let us know it just was not going to be that simple. Jack apparently has something called Nistigmus, which is the eye bouncing, and occular rotation. The Nistigmus is caused by the muscles in his eyes pulling in different directions so his eyes are not aligned the way they should be. The occular rotation makes his eyes rotate kinda in a circle, like they are rocking. Both of these will cause him to lose his vision if we do not fix it right away. So we have an MRI scheduled the beginning of February to see if it is a neurological problem. If it is, then he will have to have brain surgery because they are assuming his brain stem is too short. If its not neurological (I pray it is not) then they will do a surgery on his eyes where they detach the muscles on his eyes and re-attach them so they are properly aligned. Either way, it is surgery. I feel so terrible for Jack, he just can't catch a break. It seems like as soon as one problem is fixed, another one develops. He is so strong though and I know he will make it through this too. He also will be having his genetic appointment in February and probably be starting the growth hormone therapy. I will keep everyone updated and I will post about it again after he has his MRI.

4 comments:

us said...

Oh my goodness Tina! Im soo sorry! I heard you talking about it a little today, but just briefly. That is so hard.. poor Jack. You're right, he is a tough little boy.. Hes gone through so much already. Im proud of him. My prayers are with you!

The Peacock Family said...

I'm sorry to hear about that. I hope everything works out!

United We Dance said...

Oh Tina! I am sorry and hope eveyrthing goes well. He is a tough boy. Already been so through so much.

Heidi Madsen said...

dangit, poor guy. that sounds like no fun at all. good luck